Wednesday, February 23, 2005

“Here’s Why I Didn’t Answer the Mediation Questionnaire – Don’t Sanction Me!”

An attorney’s response to an order to show cause, issued by Fifth District Court of Appeal, as to why the appellate mediation questionnaire, forwarded by the court to the attorney, was filed over 2 months late included:

1. I relocated my office and . . . .
2. I was negotiating to form a new law firm and . . . .
3. Staff transitions and . . . .
4. Three hurricanes were heading my way and . . . .
5. My client had to return to Poland for treatment and . . . .

Did any or all of these rise to the level of excusable neglect? Read Matajek v. Skowronska, 2005 Fla. App. LEXIS 1667 [Fla. 5th DCA 2005] to find out.

Speaking of excusable neglect, don’t miss your CME requirements! Register for one of the Advancing the Profession programs.

To email me, click Perry S. Itkin