Monday, August 28, 2006

"I'm From Missouri - Show Me!"

OK, I’m not really from Missouri, the “Show-Me State” [but you knew that!]. I wanted to let you know that I have just read How to Negotiate Like a Pro. In one compact work, Mary Greenwood has synthesized a cornucopia of information about negotiation. This book is important not only for negotiators but also for mediators. It’s easy to understand and contains a specific set of rules in a practical format. Each of the 41 rules is listed with a concise explanation of how and when to use it in negotiation. One of the nice features of this positive book is a script [which really illustrates that it is a “how to do it” book] at the end of each rule – actual language you can use during negotiation and adapt to a mediator skill set.

As I read through the 76 page paperback book [you can easily carry it in your briefcase] I had, in my mind’s eye, the different applications for mediators in asking questions, framing, reframing, recognizing negotiation tactics and, in general, facilitating negotiations. It’s lessons will work exceedingly well!

I thought you might like to know about this valuable resource!

To email me, click Perry S. Itkin.